Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
This Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup is the perfect comforting soup for those cold winter days! It’s so easy to make and oh so satisfying!
- 1/3 cup butter, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (12 oz) cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups small diced broccoli florets*
- 1/8 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded (or more to taste)
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, freshly & finely shredded
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they begin to soften, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add garlic, flour and season lightly with salt and pepper then cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. While whisking, slowly pour in evaporated milk (whisk well to smooth). Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken then pour into a slow cooker along with chicken broth, diced broccoli and thyme. Cover with lid and cook on HIGH heat for 2 1/2 – 3 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
- Turn heat to warm (or off) and stir in heavy cream, then add in shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese and stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.
- *From about 20 oz broccoli crowns, large stems cut off and discarded (or reserved for another use), florets diced into small pieces.
Recipe Source: Cooking Classy
Check out a few of these recipes too!
- Paula Deen’s Not Yo Mama’s Banana Pudding : So here is the recipe don’t be like me that you won’t like it but to be honest you will really enjoy this amazing recipe.
- Greek Steak Pitas with Caramelized Onions and Mushrooms : These Greek steak pitas turn out great no matter how I cook the steak. If you’ve never tried caramelized onions, you must! They are delicious. Sautéed onions are great with this meal but the caramelized onions are amazing.
- Slow-Cooker So-Easy Sloppy Joes : These slow cooker sloppy joes are made with ground beef, tomato sauce, brown sugar and spices, all cooked to savory perfection. An easy crock pot meal that’s kid friendly and perfect for serving a crowd.